Austin is growing like crazy.
151 people move to Austin a day according to an article from BizJournal. We were a part of those transplants moving to Austin back in 2015. And from our own experience, we know it can be super challenging to make new friends in a new city. But we're here to help! We've spent the better part of 3 years becoming the experts on how to make new friends in Austin.
Austin, Texas is a vibrant, active city with so much do to at any given time! There's food, music, hiking, beautiful weather, pet friendly spots and always a fun event to check out. But with all those things to do - it can be not so fun trying to do them all on your own! You want a crew! A squad! A Hive of girlfriends to go check out the latest spot to eat or hit the trails with.
We put together a list of kick ass ideas on how to make new friends in Austin - especially if you're a woman!
- Join The B Hive Apiary! Of course we're putting ourselves first on the list, we're hands down the best way to make new girl friends in Austin. With a reputation for authenticity and not flaking - you'll be sure to find a new BFF. We host anywhere from 4 to 8 events a month! Our events are SO popular they sell out in hours - be sure to get on board quickly. We're the experts in how to make new friends in Austin - so take it from us - We know our stuff!
- Find the right business networking group for you - a city filled with hundreds, if not thousands of entrepreneurs - there are just as many networking events. Some we like: The Rising Tide Society - Tuesdays Together Austin Chapter, Small Business Friends ATX and BossBabesATX. Not every group is right for you - so try a few out, they're all different! We tend to like the smaller events, or those with educational panels to help us grow our business organically and through education. We also have a Business Hive that is primarily online, but we host in person events throughout the year as well! If you're not sure about how to make new friends in Austin - business networking is a great place to start.
- Get out and volunteer. It's a tried and true suggestion but there are some pretty great organizations that you can volunteer for that are pretty social. Ones we like: Young Women's Alliance, YNPN, The Junior League of Austin and we love to find smaller organizations like Austin Pets Alive, animal rescue groups or organizations like GirlStart or Girls Empowerment Network to spend time with as a smaller group. Austin is a very charitable city, so you're bound to find some sort of volunteer opportunities to participate in! We even host volunteer events!
- Actually show up to events! Don't just say you're going to go and not show up - there are thousands of events on Eventbrite, on Austin Woman Magazine, Do512.com and Austin 360. Not only for adults but for those of you who have kids, there are plenty of kid friendly events! Register for an event, actually show up and introduce yourself to someone! There is bound to be someone else who is there looking for a friend. This is our number one suggestion on how to make new friends in Austin - and how to keep them! Show up!
- Join a fitness class. Austin is super active, which means there are tons of opportunities to exercise in a group setting. From Camp Gladiator to City Surf to Crossfit gyms - there's really something for everyone. Yoga studios are all over the city and Barre Classes are starting to gain more popularity here! On a budget? A lot of fitness studios offer free classes or trial periods and you can find a bunch of free fitness classes on eventbrite!
- Head to a Dog Park or Yard Bar. To say that Austin is pet friendly is a supreme understatement. Pets are allowed nearly everywhere and everyone seems to have a dog. There are plenty of dog parks to hit up around the city and with a dog in tow you both you and your dog will make new friends. We loved bringing our pooches to Yard Bar, they had food, a separate area for tiny dogs and with so many dogs we chatted with quite a few new people!
- Join a sports league - If you're into social sports like volleyball, softball or running - there are plenty of groups to join. It's a great for women and men to make new friends since many of the teams are co-ed! You probably won't find Angela or Erica getting down on a court or field - but we're always happy to route on a friend!
- Ask for referrals - It seems silly, but friends of friends is one of the easiest ways to make new friends in a new city. Ask your coworkers if they know anyone who's interested in what you like! Or ask around for people from back home if they know anyone in Austin (someone always knows someone). Have them introduce you and make plans!
- Sit by the pool - Apartment complexes in Austin have pools for the most part and we highly encourage you to take action by sitting by the pool on a hot Saturday. Especially if your apartment complex is filled with young professionals. We've attended quite a few pool parties and walked away with a few new friends! Plus what better way to beat the heat by chilling in the pool with a beer.
- Take a class - whether it be a cooking class, a business themed class or just a class on something fun. Education is an easy way to find a new friend. Sit next to someone you don't know and strike up a conversation. You'll automatically have something to talk about (the class) and are learning something new in the process!
We want to know! What other ways have you used to make new friends in Austin? Drop them in the comments!